NEW SURGERY BUILDING
Hedingham Medical Centre receives unanimous planning approval for modern building to provide NHS services in the community
- The local planning authority announced full planning permission on 19 April to transform Hedingham Medical Centre into a high-quality and sustainable healthcare facility.
- The planning officers and councillors unanimously supported the application, which will increase available health services for a large number of patients. The proposed architectural and visual interest of the building will be an asset for the area.
- OneMedical Property has worked closely with the Hedingham Medical Centre team, the NHS Mid Essex Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), Braintree District Council, and local residents and groups to design a building that delivers improved healthcare facilities.
- The detailed plans outline a brand new facility designed to futureproof the local community’s healthcare needs and can serve about 12,000 patients from Sible and Castle Hedingham and the surrounding villages for many years to come.
The building will include 11 medical rooms with a large waiting area and main reception, dispensary, patients and staff utility rooms, and office spaces. In addition, the proposal includes a refuse store area, external landscaping and parking. The design of the building will result in a high-quality development adding to the overall character and quality of the area. Wellbeing and inclusivity are key components of the new Hedingham Medical Centre designs to provide a welcoming and non-clinical environment following Dementia Friendly design principles, and a healthier and more enjoyable experience for patients, visitors, and staff.
The planning consent milestone comes after a period of engagement with patients, local residents and community groups, where OneMedical Property listened to suggestions and ideas relating to the planned Medical Centre. This feedback was valuable to the final designs and OneMedical Property will continue to work with patients, local residents and community groups as the construction work begins, as well as throughout the build.
In a joint statement Cllr Kevin Bowers, Cabinet Member for Housing, Assets and Skills and Cllr Peter Tattersley, Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing at Braintree District Council, said: “We’re pleased to see this development we’ve worked on with health partners is now a step closer. We know having access to good, high quality health facilities and services is important to residents, and we will continue to work in partnership with our local partners to support and improve the health of our communities.”
David Shedden, Business Manager at Hedingham Medical Centre, said: “There has been a need for a building that delivers improved healthcare facilities in the local community for many years – so we are pleased that work will progress on the site off Osier Way. For the practice, this has been a very long time coming. Hedingham Medical Centre is proud to continue offering a range of health services to our patients in The Hedinghams and surrounding villages, which will be unaffected as the project moves forward to the construction phase.”
Dan Doherty, the Mid and South Essex Health and Care Partnership’s Alliance Director for Mid Essex, said: “It’s great to see unanimous support from Braintree District Councillors for this project. Now its construction by OneMedical Property has been approved, the brand new medical centre will offer residents of the Hedinghams, Yeldham and the surrounding area GP-led services fit for the 21st century, delivered by their local practice.”
Rachel Beverley-Stevenson, Executive Chair and Property Director at OneMedical Group, said: “We are proud to see this scheme taking a significant step forward and obtaining planning consent. The application for Hedingham Medical Centre has been unanimously granted, which is a huge milestone for everyone involved, who have worked really hard to get the project to this stage. It’s been fantastic to work closely with the practice, NHS commissioners, patients, councillors, stakeholders and community groups during our planning process, so we make sure we are as inclusive as possible. At OneMedical Property, it’s paramount we focus on helping unlock complex schemes to bring healthcare into the heart of the community, offering a therapeutic, modern environment for patients and staff, which will promote the integration of physical and mental wellbeing. We look forward to continuing to work with all local residents and groups as we move into the next stage of the project. Our dedicated website and feedback form will stay open and you can keep up to date with more information at onemedicalgroup.co.uk/hedingham-medical-centre.”
Alex Caruso, Lead Designer of the OneMedical Property Design Team for the Hedingham Medical Centre, (and Managing Director of ACA Architects) said: “Obtaining planning permission marks a significant milestone for the proposed design. For this scheme, we’ve used materials to respect the local architecture of the site and surrounding area, while introducing an innovative take in the use and proportion of the proposed materials to express the building form. The planning officers commented on the design’s integrity and quality, which provides further certainty for the development that will contribute to a welcoming, friendly and reassuring environment. It has been an excellent design team effort, working closely with everyone involved in this project to secure successful planning approval.”
- To see all the facilities the new centre will offer, please visit the dedicated microsite here: https://onemedicalgroup.co.uk/hedingham-medical-centre/
- To find out more about OneMedical Property, please visit the company’s website here: https://www.onemedicalproperty.co.uk/